UNSW Graduates Get Jobs
Our graduates are globally focused and are professionally equipped with the skills, knowledge and experience to satisfy a range of career pathways. In the Good Universities Guide 2014, UNSW scored the maximum five-star rating for three employability performance indicators:
UNSW was one of only two Go8 universities to achieve this top result.
This is proof that our students are highly sought after in government, industry and the not-for-profit sectors.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
UNSW offers students a wide range of science programs, and as such science graduates work in a huge range of careers. UNSW graduates have great success in getting jobs and developing careers in all areas of industry, research and business.
Visit our Degree, Subject and Careers Portal to see all the possible career outcomes across the different fields of science.
Choosing Your Degree
Your parents may have been in their jobs for 30 years, but it is highly unlikely that you will do the same. Most people will work in a range of different jobs, across different industries. Many people will retrain. These days it is important to study a degree that will leave your career options as wide as possible.
The first step towards your dream career is choosing the right degree.
- What are your interests and abilities? Taking a step back to reflect on what you love and what you are good at (they might be very different) will help you evaluate your options in a more systematic manner.
- Will your interests lead to a career? Should you consider taking a dual degree so you can study something you love alongside something that will broaden your career opportunities?
- What kind of job do you want, or what industry do you want to work in? It is important to enjoy your time studying, but your career will be a lot longer. Think about your career aspirations when considering degree options.
- Keep your options open. If you aren’t sure what you want to do (and many people aren't), keep your study program as broad as possible.
- Get informed - try new activities, take a range of different subjects, and talk to people (fellow students, people working in the area etc) – you never know where you might find career inspiration.
Career Support During Your Studies
UNSW recognises that a great degree is only one part of landing that dream job on graduation. We offer students a range of support services throughout their studies, to help them understand their options, understand themselves and move confidently from study to employment.
From Study to Work
Much like moving from school to university, the transition from studying to working is often a challenge. It’s not just about getting a job, you need to understand your rights and responsibilities and to make the very best choices, you need to know your options!
We highly recommend students visit the following websites to help them clarify their career options:
- MyFuture - an initiative of the Australian Government that provides general information on jobs and careers.
- Job Outlook - a careers and labour market research information site to help you decide on your future career.
- Graduate Opportunities – providing comprehensive information about a wide range of graduate employment opportunities.